Sett

WTFast an similar tools

Allright.

Do we have someone here, who actually understands large scale communication networks? Because I would really like them to explain how WTFast and similar services, even l2 server proxies, are supposed to work.

While i understand, that the global network with it's many backups and alternate data paths works somewhat ad-hoc, i somehow doubt adding even more nodes that the data must navigate through, can decrease latency.

And certainly the measuring tools provided by these services are not exactly the most trustworty of them all...

EDIT: on the other hand there just might be a point in monitoring various paths and picking the one that is most stable, sending data through more routes simultaneously, or things as simple as optimising configuration on players computer depending on the transfered data. Those are mostly a wild imagination on my part though.

taking advantage of his post, where is located the host of this server ?

server is hosted on central Europe, but there will be lot of different proxies available. so every country will have a choice of getting the proxy that better fits its needs in order to not have high pings in game.

Allright.

Do we have someone here, who actually understands large scale communication networks? Because I would really like them to explain how WTFast and similar services, even l2 server proxies, are supposed to work.

While i understand, that the global network with it's many backups and alternate data paths works somewhat ad-hoc, i somehow doubt adding even more nodes that the data must navigate through, can decrease latency.

And certainly the measuring tools provided by these services are not exactly the most trustworty of them all...

EDIT: on the other hand there just might be a point in monitoring various paths and picking the one that is most stable, sending data through more routes simultaneously, or things as simple as optimising configuration on players computer depending on the transfered data. Those are mostly a wild imagination on my part though.

​You don't neccesarily add more nodes.

For example, I'm located in Argentina right now... my ISP does the following pathing (just the big picture, not each node)

Argentina > USA > EU . In between them there are LOTS of nodes, and some work like crap, and in Networks it will only work as good as your worst node (ie: if a node loses 4% packets, you will reach with 4% packet lost).

With WTFast (or a L2 Proxy) I can connect to another destination, and after that, they reach the server.

Basically you can test an immense amount of different routes to try to reach the server the best way possible, BUT in my case there is always a limitation... Argentina > USA > EU , which means it won't drop down below 230-250 latency on the best servers.

That's when proxies and VPNs won't do anything, when the connections are working "as intended" then that's the best you can do... specially with such long distances.

In beta I've tested connecting directly to the server and I have 350ms ping and huge delays/spikes in game.

With WTFast connected to a EU server that I can reach perfectly fine (220ms) I get 250ms to the server and clean as a whistle.

Long story short: Instead of doing A > B > C > D, you're using this to do A > E > F > D. Same destination, different routing.

Well, I do understand how  snoop proxy works. I also understand that any node can choose an interface (direction) to which it sends data.

What i don't get is how one could affect this behavior on any node he does not control.

If your data, by default travels through nodes A (source) - B - C - D (crappy node) - E - F (destination). then in ideal situation WTFast can force it to go A - B - C - WTF - E - F, if WTF node happens to bypass the worst node. If it doesn't, however, It might very well end up being A - B - X - Y - WTF - Z - D - E - F, or worse. You can control the route a little by choosing server that happens to bypass the worst node(s), but that's about it.

Anyways, after some research yesterday I guess it could help, if you connect halfway across the world (did you say Argentina?), and your region has really, really crappy connection, but here we are talking about half a second pings and/or severe packet loss...

On a side note: where in EU is the server and where is the European proxy (assuming German one is in Germany...)?