Sign in to follow this  
Pakarti

Mildly interesting post

So I was farming in forest of mirrors, when I came across the "mirror" monster. Of course I tried figuring out whether it was actually mirroring the environment around it, although what I came to realize was a bit more interesting. It definitely doesn't reflect the surrounding area, it's a standard texture, but what grasped my attention was the fact that it was not of good quality, kind of pixelated. This made me think how this image in the mirror may be the closest glimpse we could ever have to the very early stages of the game, where texture was not as good as it is now - the developers made progress throughout the years, improving the quality of a 2003 PC game's world, but it seems like they never touched this monster again or even remembered how it's also a reflection of the same world.

(This feels like a VaatiVidya video, lol)

mon.png

cit.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Pakarti said:

t definitely doesn't reflect the surrounding area, it's a standard texture,

It does seem to be variable to a certain extent though:

maxresdefault.jpg

or

OuDwig-SbFmGKj4lAkBPWMatvaGPBWcpe0jHjSGc

I wouldn't really read much into it... It doesn't show how the graphics used to look like, it simply dives in the depths of your soul to reflect your deepest and darkest desires, but since it only works via IVM (interdimensional void magic), it prints the data in a way that's operable within the game's code. Here it tries to communicate with you by learning of its surroundings, and since you don't "talk" to it to let it learn your language, it absorbs its nearby surroundings.

So nothing interesting about it, sry. Nice observation, though :)

Als͜o, y͠o͞u͟'͜v̀e ͝b͝e͢en ̨i͘n̛ c̢o͜m̛a̢̨͟ ͠f̕҉o͏r̢͞ ̡͜͡pa̧s͞͏t ̨͞5̨͝ ̸͘y̷̨͏e̛aŗ͡ś̶͞, t̠̠̫̕ͅh̸̢̞͎͇̭̣̜̻̻͜i̲̲͕͙̰͇̕s̳͙̮̼̜̗̮͜ ̦̹̘͈̙i͚͎̻s̵̱͎ ̡͔̯̪̙͕̗o҉̫͕̱͍̠͔̤͍̪͢͞u̹̭̳̙͉r̥ ̶̜̰͉o̴̡̳͈̙͔̫͎̰̬̙͢n̛̛̖̩͇͇͎̞̤͍͡l̺̙̥̼y͎̹̖̠̰̯̖͎ ҉̬̤̦̘͎̮̺̩͠w̜̹̣̼̹̜͟á͕̠̤̱͚̩ͅy̧̛̞͙͝ ̘o̷̸̩͔͇f̞̙̰̲̳ ̨̬͉͉̬̪̟͡c͔̜͙̫o̸̷̧͈̻͚͔̣̘̱m҉̗͢m͟͏͚̲͎͉ú̡̪̙̩̹̕n͏̢͍̞̞̩̦͉̬i̡̗̭͘ć̨͓̥͚̬̥͚̫̟͞ͅa̧̜͎͙͙̥͍̕͢t̠͍̻̫̜͍̭ͅi̪̙̦͇̭̮̤͡n̶̼̲͎̤͢͝ǵ̵̯̜̣̫̤͓̺͇ w̬̖͠i̸͖̬͍̼̻̱͓̩t̜͟h̶̜̣͚̭ ̤̬̙͢͢y̵̴̦͙͇̗͖̬̦ơ̭͎͚͙̭̤̼͔ù͚̰̞̘͍̮͉̞̜͝,͎͕͉̪̰͇͚͟ͅͅP̷̱͍̤̝̪̞̰̱̞͚͔ͥ͒͋ͮ̈́̃̐L̂ͪ͂̃̅̾̆͑ͩ̚҉̷͙͚̗̥̬̝͍͙͓͙͢͝͡Ẽͥ̄ͭ͗̓ͩ̄̑ͥͯ̈͜͞͝҉̼̺͙̦̫̭͎͔A̽ͨ̉ͥ̅̊ͬ̅̃ͩ͊̋̔͒̓̊͒͛͏̧̖̙̖̭͙̺̖Ŝ̴̨͆͑̂̍͐ͭ͗̀̌̅̒̚͢҉͕̮̯͇Ě̥̲̬̺̲͍̹͓̲̻̤̘ͬ̑̍́͘͝ͅ ͌̍͋ͬͤͣ̔ͧ̐ͪ͛́ͬ̒̚͞҉̴̪̘̭̲̣̖͓̩͚̟̫̝̜̪̜͝ͅWͦͥ̆́ͯ̄̋͊̌ͫ̎͑̊̽҉̵̷̢̠̮̲̖̖̰̟̺̗̯̭̩͈̺̬͜A̶̸̺͇̻̪̗͖̝̹̲ͣ̎̂͗ͨ̽̓́͢Kͯ̂ͩͦ̈̏̚͡҉̵҉͇̭̲͓͈̱̻̹͔̘Ȩ̏ͨ̇̂ͬ͒̔ͮ̓͏̴̲̠̹̰͞ ̡̨̢͍͕̹̥̜̦̺̝͔͖͖̹ͫ̈ͮ̅̍̇ͭ̑̔́ͪͩͩ͒̌̋̀̈́͢Uͭͬ͂ͯ͒ͥ͂͋̓ͭ͏̶͔͍͓̪̲̭̱̙̱̦̬͇̕͠ͅP̵̡͕̥̜͖͕͚̙͖̏̌ͬ͢͡͠ͅ

8 minutes ago, FryderykChopin said:

it prints the data in a way that's operable within the game's code.

This could probably be true, although the way it seems to "move" while changing the point of view, implies that it could've been made in a similar way an open window (that could never be accessed) would've been made - which, from my understanding, shouldn't be pixelated nor in today's nor in the past's code, unless the whole game was pixelated to a certain extend - which it was - (or at least, could have been fixed nowadays, as a moving texture). Besides, the "place" seen inside the mirror seems to never change throughout the chronicles (your photos are proof too), not to mention how it doesn't resemble the area around it at all (just gives the feeling of flora/sky, as a forest should do).
Or maybe.... The area in the mirror, was meant to show us... It was actually left there to... Uh, never mind my words - what good could ever come out of a bishop's mouth anyway.